This year we bring you Halloween from San Francisco. Our store on Grant Avenue is ready for the trick or treaters, and we went out exploring local pumpkin patches! What will you do with your pumpkins after today? We have this exclusive recipe from San Francisco restaurant Txoko whose chef Ian Begg creates Basque-inspired dishes, for an update of classic pumpkin soup.
1 cup Calaspara Rice (or substitute Aborrio rice)
1/2 cup medium dice yellow onion
1 cup pale dry sherry
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1qt vegetable stock
2 cups large diced pumpkin
2oz black trumpet mushrooms
1/4 cup Manchego cheese
1 bunch chives, cut into 1 inch sticks
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss diced pumpkin in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on a sheet pan until tender.
3. In a blender puree roasted pumpkin until smooth adding a little vegetable stock as needed.
4. In a medium sauce pan bring remaining vegetable stock to a simmer. Heat another sauce pan over medium heat and saute the onion until tender.
5. Add the rice and the sherry and cook until dry stirring constantly.
6. Begin adding vegetable stock slowly while stirring constantly until rice is almost fully cooked but still “al dente.”
7. Season the rice to taste with salt and pepper. To garnish saute the black trumpet mushrooms and place a top the rice. Sprinkle the Manchego and chives…..enjoy!